Fay, Southern Illinois dump Western Michigan 89-72
CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP)—Carlton Fay exploded for 38 points to lead Southern Illinois to an 89-72 victory over Western Michigan in a BracketBusters game Saturday.
Fay went 10-for-13 from the field, including 3-for-6 from 3-point range, and 15-for-17 from the free throw line, scoring the most by a Saluki since 1996. Fay scored 12 of the Salukis’ first 19 points and had 22 in the first half, which ended with Southern Illinois ahead 52-37.
Kevin Dillard added 17 and Kendal Brown-Surles 12 for the Salukis (15-12).
David Kool led the Broncos (14-13) with 21 points but shot only 4-for-19. Flenard Whitfield had a double-double with 13 points and a game-high 12 rebounds, and Demetrius Ward scored 12.
After Fay’s jumper put Southern Illinois ahead 38-27 with 5:34 left in the first half, the lead dipped into single figures only one more time, at 61-52 with 10:17 to go.
- Xavier lands a big recruit: 7-foot-5, 338-pound Sim Bhullar
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims