Fay, Southern Illinois dump Western Michigan 89-72
CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP)—Carlton Fay exploded for 38 points to lead Southern Illinois to an 89-72 victory over Western Michigan in a BracketBusters game Saturday.
Fay went 10-for-13 from the field, including 3-for-6 from 3-point range, and 15-for-17 from the free throw line, scoring the most by a Saluki since 1996. Fay scored 12 of the Salukis’ first 19 points and had 22 in the first half, which ended with Southern Illinois ahead 52-37.
Kevin Dillard added 17 and Kendal Brown-Surles 12 for the Salukis (15-12).
David Kool led the Broncos (14-13) with 21 points but shot only 4-for-19. Flenard Whitfield had a double-double with 13 points and a game-high 12 rebounds, and Demetrius Ward scored 12.
After Fay’s jumper put Southern Illinois ahead 38-27 with 5:34 left in the first half, the lead dipped into single figures only one more time, at 61-52 with 10:17 to go.
- Fay, Southern Illinois dump Western Michigan 89-72
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four