Jacksonville 76, Mercer 64
MACON, Ga. (AP)—Ben Smith scored a game-high 26 points to lead Jacksonville to a 76-64 win over Mercer on Saturday, solidifying its share of first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
Smith hit just 5-of-12 from the floor, but knocked down two 3-pointers in the second half and was 14 of 17 at the free throw line while dishing out four assists to go with three steals. His performance at the free throw line moved him into first place on Jacksonville’s all-time free throws list, surpassing Ralph Tiner’s record of 555.
The Dolphins (17-10, 13-5) face A-Sun co-leader Campbell at home on Thursday in a game that could decide the conference crown.
Mercer (14-14, 10-8) cut a 10-point lead down to one with 9:17 left in the game, but the Dolphins went on a 12-3 run from that juncture to push the lead back to 10.
Daniel Emerson had 22 points and 10 boards to lead Mercer.
- Oregon's crazy new basketball floor is quintessentially Oregon
- Brimah, Purvis withdraw from draft, will return to UConn
- Edwards withdraws from NBA draft, will play again for Purdue
- 3 Washington State players withdraw from draft consideration
- Duke-Michigan St, UNC-Indiana headline ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- Former NBA player Kerry Kittles joins Princeton staff