Memphis defeats SMU 76-63, reaches 20 wins
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP)—Elliot Williams scored 16 points, and Roburt Sallie and Wesley Witherspoon added 15 apiece, helping Memphis defeat Southern Methodist 76-63 on Saturday night.
The Tigers (20-7, 10-2 Conference USA) relied on a barrage of 3-pointers to build an early lead, then used the long-range shooting to keep the Mustangs at bay as they made a second-half run.
After trailing 58-35 with 13:49 left, SMU cut the lead to eight, 66-58, with 3:11 left. Witherspoon, Sallie and D.J. Stephens each made a pair of free throws and Sallie hit a 3-pointer to push the lead back to 17 points, 75-58, with 1:05 to play.
Willie Kemp had 10 points for Memphis, while Witherspoon added eight rebounds and six assists.
Mouhammad Faye led SMU (12-14, 5-7) with 18 points. Derek Williams and Robert Nyakundi scored 11 apiece and Papa Dia had 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Hot-shooting Drake defeats Missouri State 88-77
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case