Sacramento St. 74, Montana St. 80
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP)—Branden Johnson and Will Bynum led five players in double figures as Montana State hung on to beat Sacramento State 80-74 Thursday night.
The two seniors scored 18 points each as the Bobcats (14-12, 9-6 Big Sky) clinched a home game in the conference playoffs.
Montana State stretched a 38-25 halftime lead to 47-30, but the last-place Hornets (9-18, 3-10) eventually took a 72-70 lead on a layup by Duro Bjegovic. Two free throws by Johnson and back-to-back baskets by Bynum, the second after a steal and breakaway with 20 seconds remaining, iced it.
Bobby Howard led Montana State with six rebounds to go with his 15 points. Marquis Navarre and Danny Piepoli scored 11 each. The Bobcats hit 26 of 34 free throws, while Sacramento State made 11 of 13.
Freshman John Dickson’s career-high 22 points paced the Hornets. Bjegovic added 16 points and a game-high seven rebounds.
- Sacramento St. 74, Montana St. 80
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four