Mercer defeats North Florida 77-67
MACON, Ga. (AP)—Daniel Emerson scored 20 points and grabbed 18 rebounds to help Mercer defeat North Florida 77-67 on Thursday night.
Emerson was 9 of 13 from the field for the Bears (14-13, 10-7 Atlantic Sun Conference), who were playing without their leading scorer. James Florence, averaging 19 points per game, injured his ankle against East Tennessee State on Saturday and missed his first start in 79 games.
Mercer still had plenty of scoring, as Brandon Moore had 18 points and Jeff Smith added 12.
The Bears shot 63.8 percent from the field in the second half (14 of 22), breaking a 32-32 halftime tie.
The Ospreys (12-15, 7-10) led 39-38 with 17:21 to go, and Mercer scored eight straight points to lead 46-39 on Brian Mills’ free throws with 15 minutes left.
Eni Cuka scored 21 points, Matt Sauey 12 and Germaine Sparkes 11 for North Florida.
- Mercer defeats North Florida 77-67
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina