McKnight duo leads Akron past Miami (Ohio) 61-56
OXFORD, Ohio (AP)—Brett McKnight scored 13 points and Akron held off Miami of Ohio in a 61-56 win on Wednesday night, maintaining its share of the Mid-American Conference’s top spot.
Chris McKnight, Brett’s brother, had 12 points for the Zips (20-7, 10-3), who are tied with Kent State in the conference standings. With the loss, the RedHawks (11-15, 8-5) fell two games behind Akron.
Allen Roberts’ three-point play put Miami ahead 50-49 with 4:41 left in the second half. But Chris McKnight, who went 5-for-8 from the floor, answered with a layup 20 seconds later to give the Zips the lead for good.
Kenny Hayes led the RedHawks with 16 points, Adam Fletcher had 12 points, and Julian Mavunga added eight points and grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Akron won despite shooting 41.5 percent from the floor (22-for-53) compared to the RedHawks, who shot 42.3 percent (22-for-52).
- Can Kentucky pluck Marquis Teague from Louisville?
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56