Campbell defeats S.C.-Upstate 66-46
BUIES CREEK, N.C. (AP)—Lorne Merthie scored 21 points and Campbell took over first place in the Atlantic Sun Conference with a 66-46 victory over South Carolina-Upstate on Wednesday night.
Merthie hit a career-high seven 3-pointers, going 7-for-9, to help the Camels (17-9, 12-5) win their fifth consecutive game and set a school record for conference victories.
Jonathan Rodriguez added 15 points as Campbell led throughout, going up 41-22 on a Merthie 3-pointer with 3:55 left before halftime.
Amir Celestin, who scored 11 points, hit two free throws to give the Camels a 51-31 advantage with 14:46 to play in the game. They pushed the lead to 66-40 on William Kossangue’s layup with 3:59 remaining.
Campbell was 20-for-23 from the foul line and outrebounded S.C.-Upstate 37-26 behind Miles Taylor, who had 10.
Josh Chavis scored 12 and Ryan LeGates added 10 points for the Spartans (5-21, 5-12).
- Campbell defeats S.C.-Upstate 66-46
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2