Winthrop knocks off Gardner-Webb 69-64
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP)—Reggie Middleton scored 18 points to lead Winthrop to a 69-64 victory over Gardner-Webb on Tuesday night, the Eagles’ seventh straight victory.
Matt Morgan added 17 points for Winthrop (15-10, 11-4 Big South Conference), which overcame shooting 34.5 percent from the field (20-for-58) for its 10th victory in 11 games.
Grayson Flittner hit three consecutive free throws to give Gardner-Webb (7-19, 5-10) a 50-49 lead with 5:15 remaining, but the Eagles scored the next nine points for a 58-50 advantage with 2:15 to play. Middleton then hit a free throw and layup to give Winthrop a 61-51 advantage with 51 seconds to play.
The Eagles went 8-for-10 from the line in the final 45 seconds.
Robbie Dreher had 12 points and Charles Corbin scored 10 for Winthrop.
Flittner, C.J. Hailey and Stefon Johnson scored 12 points each for Gardner-Webb. Johnson added 10 rebounds.
- Winthrop knocks off Gardner-Webb 69-64
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?