Northern Iowa tops Creighton 70-52 for MVC crown
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP)—Northern Iowa clinched the first outright Missouri Valley Conference regular-season championship in school history by defeating Creighton 70-52 on Tuesday night.
Ali Farokhmanesh hit 5 3-pointers and scored 17 points for the Panthers (23-3, 14-2 MVC), who tied Creighton for the title last season. Johnny Moran also scored 17 points, and Kwadzo Ahelegbe had five rebounds and four assists.
Antoine Young led the Bluejays (13-14, 8-8) with 12 points. Justin Carter and Kenny Lawson Jr. had 11 each.
The Panthers raised their home record to 12-0 even without 7-foot center Jordan Eglseder, who was suspended for three games after his arrest for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
Northern Iowa shot better from 3-point range at 48.1 percent (13 of 27) than overall at 45.5 percent (20 of 44).
Creighton started with a 7-0 lead, but Northern Iowa ran off the next nine points and never trailed again.
- Northern Iowa tops Creighton 70-52 for MVC crown
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown