North Carolina A&T beats Hampton 69-65
HAMPTON, Va. (AP)—Robert Johnson scored 13 points to lead three other players in double figures as North Carolina A&T defeated Hampton 69-65 on Monday night.
Tavarus Alston, Dwane Joshua and Thomas Coleman each scored 11 points for the Aggies (9-17, 5-7 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who avenged a 65-55 loss against the Pirates on Jan. 18.
The Pirates trailed only 49-47 with 11:20 remaining in the second half, but the Aggies went on a 13-4 run to take a 62-51 lead with 5:10 left in the game.
Hampton outscored North Carolina A&T 6-1 to close out the contest.
Darrion Pellum scored 18 points and dished out five assists to pace the Pirates (8-17, 4-8), who have lost three of their past four games.
Hampton led 37-31 at halftime, but shot only 35.5 percent in the second half (11-for-31). The Aggies shot 50 percent in the second period (13-for-26).
- North Carolina A&T beats Hampton 69-65
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina