Fairfield cruises past Manhattan 74-56
NEW YORK (AP)—Mike Evanovich came off the bench to score 15 points and Fairfield beat Manhattan 74-65 on Monday night.
Anthony Johnson added 14 points and 11 rebounds, Colin Nickerson had 13 points and Derek Needham 12 for the Stags (18-8, 11-5 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference).
The Stags trailed 6-4, and went on a 36-10 run to grab its largest lead, 40-16, after a 3-pointer by Evanovich with 3:37 remaining in the first half. The lead never dipped below 13 points the rest of the way.
Fairfield shot 50.9 percent (27 of 53) and the Jaspers made only 18 of 54 of their shots (33.3 percent) from the field.
The Stags were hot from 3-point range as Johnson made 4 of 5 attempts and Nickerson was 5 of 6 from behind the arc.
Rico Pickett, the only player in double figures for the Jaspers (9-17, 4-12), had 18 points.
- Tarnished ex-Ohio State coach Jim O’Brien returns to the bench
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament