Alabama State defeats Alabama A&M 80-76
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. (AP)—Menji Mundadi scored 27 points, including 15 in the second half, and Alabama State beat Alabama A&M 80-76 on Saturday night.
The Hornets (10-13, 7-5 Southwest Athletic Conference) trailed 48-35 at halftime, and held the Bulldogs to 34.6 percent shooting in the second half (9 of 26).
Alabama A&M (8-12, 5-7), which led by as many as 17 early in the second half, took a 63-52 advantage on Casey Cantey’s jumper with 9:43 remaining.
Alabama State then outscored the Bulldogs 20-9 to lead 73-72 on Christopher Duncan’s layup with 2:03 to go. It was the Hornets first lead since 17:12 left in the first half.
Jabari Deshields’ 3 put the Bulldogs back on top, 75-73 with 1:40 to go, but the Hornets scored five straight to pull away.
Byron Walker added 19 points for Alabama State.
Cantey finished with 18 points and Cornelius Hester added 17 for Alabama A&M.
- Alabama State defeats Alabama A&M 80-76
- The 10 highest-paid college basketball coaches
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook