Morgan gets 11, Winthrop beats Presbyterian 66-53
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP)—Matt Morgan scored 11 points and Reggie Middleton and Gideon Gamble scored 10 each as Winthrop defeated Presbyterian 66-53 on Saturday.
Eight of Gamble’s points came in the second half. After the Blue Hose (4-22, 2-12 Big South Conference) cut a 10-point deficit to four, 37-33, Gamble’s 3-pointer gave the Eagles (14-10, 10-4) a 40-33 lead with 12:00 left.
Presbyterian got within six, 42-36, with 10:08 left on a 3-pointer by Chase Holmes, but baskets by Chris Malcolm and Justin Burton widened Winthrop’s lead to 46-36 at the 8:31 mark.
The Eagles got twice as many free throw chances, going 19-for-24—including 14-for-17 in the second half—while the Blue Hose were 10-for-12. Presbyterian turned the ball over 17 times to Winthrop’s eight.
Holmes led the Blue Hose with 13 points, while Ryan Hargrave had 11 and Khalid Mutakabbir 10.
- Morgan gets 11, Winthrop beats Presbyterian 66-53
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot