Freeman, Southern Illinois down Evansville 80-64
CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP)—John Freeman made all four shots he took and all seven free throws he attempted Saturday as Southern Illinois defeated Evansville 80-64.
Freeman’s 15 points led the Salukis (14-11, 6-9 Missouri Valley), who snapped a two-game losing streak. Kevin Dillard scored 14 and Carlton Fay 10.
Clint Hopf led the Purple Aces (7-18, 1-14) with 14 points. Kevan Lacey and Denver Holmes scored 11 each, and Ned Cox had 10.
Evansville shot 54.3 percent but was outdone by Southern Illinois’ 56.3.
Pieter van Tongeren sank two free throws for Evansville to tie it 27-27 with 3:21 left in the first half, but Tony Freeman came off the bench and keyed an 8-2 spurt with a 3-pointer that gave Southern Illinois a 35-29 lead at intermission.
Kendal Brown-Surles pushed the advantage to 44-33 with 17:20 left, and Evansville never got closer than seven.
The Salukis swept the season series.
- Freeman, Southern Illinois down Evansville 80-64
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- Arizona team breakdown