Ball State moves atop Mid-American with 71-66 win
DEKALB, Ill. (AP)—Ball State hit 8 of 9 free throws in the final two minutes Saturday to beat Northern Illinois 71-66 and take over first place in the Mid-American Conference West Division.
The Cardinals (13-11, 7-5) moved a half-game ahead of Central Michigan, which hosts Toledo on Sunday. Ball State and Central Michigan meet Wednesday in Muncie, Ind.
Ball State overcame a 30-point, 10-rebound performance by Xavier Silas, who was the only Northern Illinois player in double figures. The Huskies (8-16, 4-8) have lost eight straight games in conference play.
Randy Davis had 20 points, Jarrod Jones 16 and Pierre Sneed 11 for Ball State, which avenged a 62-48 loss to Northern Illinois earlier this season.
Davis hit two free throws with 1:06 left to put the Cardinals on top for good, 66-64. On the ensuing possession, Darion Anderson missed two free throws for Northern Illinois.
- Ball State moves atop Mid-American with 71-66 win
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four