Eastern Illinois turns back Eastern Kentucky 77-54
CHARLESTON, Ill. (AP)—Tyler Laser scored 17 points and James Hollowell had 16 points and a game-high nine rebounds to pace Eastern Illinois over Eastern Kentucky 77-54 on Saturday night.
The Panthers (14-11, 8-7 Ohio Valley) dominated the Colonels (18-9, 10-5), outshooting them 54.7 percent to 35.0 and outrebounding them 43-26.
Josh Taylor, who led the Colonels with 11 points, gave them their last lead at 13-11. Then the Panthers embarked on a 10-0 run featuring four points by Shaun Pratl and led 21-13.
Spencer Perrin broke Eastern Kentucky’s 5:39 scoring drought to trim it to 21-15. But Perrin, who hit two more baskets, was the only Colonel to score until 44 seconds remained in the half, when Dayvon Ellis cut the gap to 34-21.
Jeremy Granger raised the Panthers’ lead to 45-25 early in the second half. It was never close again in Eastern Illinois’ third straight win.
- Eastern Illinois turns back Eastern Kentucky 77-54
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?