Illinois State edges Creighton 67-63
OMAHA, Neb. (AP)—Osiris Eldridge and Dinma Odiakosa scored 12 points each as Illinois State edged Creighton 67-63 on Saturday.
The victory allowed the Redbirds (18-8, 9-6) to move into third place in the Missouri Valley Conference. The Bluejays (13-13, 8-7) lost at home for just the second time this season.
There were three ties and 14 lead changes in the second half—11 during an 11-minute stretch in which neither team led by more than three.
Odiakosa finally broke that string by giving Illinois State a 60-55 advantage with 4:11 to play. The Redbirds extended their lead to seven on a steal and breakaway basket by Lloyd Phillips with 3:47 left.
Trailing by two, the Bluejays turned the ball over on their final possession without getting off a shot. Phillips then sealed the game with two free throws.
Kenny Lawson had 20 points for Creighton to lead all scorers.
- Illinois State edges Creighton 67-63
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0