Alcorn State gets first win, 55-54 over MVSU
LORMAN, Miss. (AP)—Ian Francis scored 14 points and Alcorn State won its first game of the season, 55-54 over Mississippi Valley State on Saturday.
The Braves (1-23, 1-11 Southwestern Athletic Conference) trailed 30-25 at halftime and shot 52.4 percent from the field in the second half (11 of 21).
Alcorn State led 54-47 on a free throw by Ian Francis with 32 seconds left, before the Delta Devils (6-19, 5-7) went on a 7-1 run. D’Angelo Jackson’s 3 brought Mississippi Valley State within 55-54 with 6 seconds to go.
Alcorn State’s Corey Anthony was fouled with 2 seconds left, and missed both shots, but the Delta Devils couldn’t get a shot off.
Francis scored 11 in the first half for the Braves, who jumped out to a 12-0 lead with 13:42 to go until halftime.
Shannon Behling scored 19 points for Mississippi Valley State, which shot 13.3 percent from 3-point range in the second half (2-15).
- TV cameras catch Renardo Sidney brawling with a teammate
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons