Long Island U defeats Sacred Heart 81-75
FAIRFIELD, Conn. (AP)—Kyle Johnson tied a career high with 26 points and 10 rebounds to lead Long Island U. to an 81-75 victory over Sacred Heart on Thursday night.
Jaytornah Wisseh added 15 points and six assists and the Blackbirds (10-14, 8-5 Northeast Conference) pulled away in the final 5 minutes to win for the second time in three games.
Corey Hassan hit a free throw to give Sacred Heart (12-12, 5-8) a 64-62 lead, but Michael Culpo hit a 3-pointer with 5:04 remaining for a 65-64 advantage and Jamal Olasewere followed with a layup and a 67-64 lead with 4:37 to play.
Long Island U. went 12-for-12 from the free throw line in the final 2:21 and was 24-for-34 from the line (70.6 percent).
Chauncey Hardy scored 17 points and Stan Dulaire and Ryan Litke added 14 each for Sacred Heart, which has lost six straight games. Liam Potter had 10 points and 17 rebounds.
- Long Island U defeats Sacred Heart 81-75
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again with ill-advised, empty possessions late in collapse
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0