VMI defeats Gardner-Webb 92-85
BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. (AP)—Austin Kenon scored 29 points, and Stan Okoye added 26 points and 11 rebounds as Virginia Military Institute held off Gardner-Webb 92-85 on Thursday night.
It was Okoye’s seventh double-double in the past 10 games.
Okoye has scored at least 20 points in seven of the past 10 games for the Keydets (8-15, 4-10 Big South Conference), who forged a tie with the Bulldogs for the final berth in the eight-team conference tournament.
Leading 52-45 with 15:26 to play, the Keydets went on a 13-2 run to take their largest lead of the game at 65-47 with 11:59 to play after a free throw by Okoye. The Bulldogs would get no closer than nine until Anton Silver hit a 3-pointer with 29 seconds remaining to cut the gap to 88-80.
Okoye made 10 of 15 field goal attempts and had four of the Keydets six blocks.
Silver led the Bulldogs (7-17, 4-10) with 21 points.
- VMI defeats Gardner-Webb 92-85
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2