Liberty 72, N.C.-Asheville 75
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP)—Chris Stephenson scored 16 points and J.P. Primm added 15 to help North Carolina-Asheville defeat Liberty 75-72 on Thursday night.
The Bulldogs (11-14, 8-6 Big South Conference) led 37-25 at halftime after outrebounding the Flames 24-17 and scoring all of their 10 second-chance points in the first half.
UNC-Ashville, which got 11 first-half points from Stephenson, shot 50 percent (14 of 28) and held Liberty (12-13, 7-6) to 25.8 percent shooting (8 of 31) before halftime.
The Flames pulled within 66-64 on Evan Gordon’s 3 with 4:07 to go, but the Bulldogs answered with six straight points.
Liberty would again pull within two, 70-68, on Kyle Ohman’s layup with 2:48 remaining, but wouldn’t get any closer in its third-straight loss.
Evan Gordon scored 16 points while Jess Sanders and Kyle Ohman added 15 each for the Flames.
- Liberty 72, N.C.-Asheville 75
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?