Florida Gulf Coast beats Jacksonville 68-62
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Ben Smith scored 24 points and Jacksonville snapped a two-game losing streak with a 68-62 win over Florida Gulf Coast on Thursday night.
Ayron Hardy finished with 11 points and six rebounds for the Dolphins (15-10, 11-5 Atlantic Sun Conference), who trailed 31-28 halftime but were able to hold on late to snap a two-game losing streak.
Jacksonville was outshot by the Eagles (4-12, 7-18), who went 24-for-46 from the floor (52.2 percent) compared to the Dolphins’ 44.4 percent shooting (24-for-54) from the field.
But Jacksonville made its shots from long range, hitting eight 3-pointers. The Dolphins never trailed after Travis Cohn’s 3-pointer, which put them ahead 54-52 with 5:28 to play.
Anthony Banks led Florida Gulf Coast with 24 points, while Eddie Murray and Sherwood Brown each had 10 points.
The Eagles have lost five in a row.
- Bill Murray's son Luke forges his own path as a Division I coach
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons