South Carolina defeats Florida 77-71
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—Devan Downey scored 24 points to lead South Carolina to a 77-71 win over Florida on Wednesday night.
Downey was off his nearly 31-point average in Southeastern Conference games, but he finally got help from his teammates. Brandis Raley-Ross added 20 for the Gamecocks (14-9, 5-4).
Florida (17-7, 6-4) led for most of the game. But the Gators scored just one field goal in 6 minutes late in the second half as South Carolina turned a 53-all tie into a 67-57 lead.
Florida shot 56 percent from the field, but turned the ball over 20 times and shot 10-for-23 from the foul line to hurt its hopes of making the NCAA tournament for the first time since winning the national title in 2007.
South Carolina missed its first 10 3-pointers, but shot 6-of-12 the rest of the way from behind the arc.
- South Carolina defeats Florida 77-71
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game