Sam Houston State defeats Nicholls State 75-69
THIBODAUX, La. (AP)—Ashton Mitchell scored 18 points and Sam Houston State defeated Nicholls State 75-69 on Wednesday night for its ninth straight win.
The Bearkats (17-5, 9-0 Southland Conference) led 39-25 with 18:27 left, before the Colonels (7-16, 3-7) went on a 17-4 run. Dominic Friend’s three-point play pulled Nicholls State within 43-42 with 12:41 to go.
The two teams traded baskets until Fred Hunter’s layup tied it at 64-64 with 2:38 to go.
Sam Houston State then got a layup from Ashton Mitchell and made 7 of 8 free throws to pull away.
After Nicholls State took an early 6-0 lead with 15:23 left in the first half, the Bearkats went on a 29-6 run, capped by Corey Allmond’s free throws with 4:54 left in the half.
Lance Pevehouse scored 13 points and Allmond finished with 12 for Sam Houston State.
Hunter led Nicholls State with 26 points and Anatoly Bose added 19.
- Sam Houston State defeats Nicholls State 75-69
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game