Miami (Ohio) heats up, beats Toledo 55-47
OXFORD, Ohio (AP)—Kenny Hayes scored 14 points and Anthony Ballard 13 to lead Miami (Ohio), which came on strong in the second half for a 55-47 victory over Toledo on Wednesday night.
The RedHawks (11-13, 8-3 Mid-American Conference), who moved into a tie with idle Akron for second in the league’s East Division, a game behind Kent State, trailed 21-18 after a first half in which they shot 32 percent (8-for-25).
Miami found the range in the second, however, shooting 68.8 percent (11-for-16) to get past the Rockets (3-22, 0-11). Ballard made all four of his second-half shots.
Justin Anyijong led the Rockets with 16 points, 13 in the first half, but he was 0-for-4 from the field in the second.
After a first half in which neither team made a free throw, with Miami missing the only two attempts awarded, the RedHawks were 14-for-22 from the line in the second half and Toledo 9-for-10.
- Four potential bid thieves once conference tourneys begin
- No. 7 Virginia back track with a little luck, lots of 'D'
- Florida St looking to continue success against zone defenses
- Selection Sunday is just 5 weeks away
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Watson's 32 leads Creighton to 70-56 upset of No. 5 Xavier