Texas-Arlington overcomes McNeese State 70-58
LAKE CHARLES, La. (AP)—LaMarcus Reed and Dwight Gentry scored 13 points each, picking up the slack from teammate Marquez Haynes, to help Texas-Arlington defeat McNeese State 70-58 on Wednesday night.
Haynes, who came in as the nation’s second-leading scorer at 24.7 points per game, was held to 12, shooting just 3-for-10. The Mavericks (13-9, 5-4 Southland Conference), however, built a 40-22 halftime lead by shooting 51.5 percent (17-for-33) in the opening 20 minutes. The Cowboys (8-15, 3-6) shot just 26.9 percent (7-for-26) in the first half.
McNeese State cut into the lead by making 5 of 13 3-point tries in the second half after going 0-for-6 in the first. The Cowboys cut their deficit to eight points three times in the final 3:12 but got no closer.
Patrick Richard scored 14 points to lead McNeese State and Diego Kapelan, who was 3-for-7 on 3-pointers, added 13.
- Ian Eagle shares the origin story of Bill Raftery's 'Onions!'
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament