Colgate edges Lafayette 74-73 on Jonson free throw
EASTON, Pa. (AP)—Ben Jonson scored 17 points, including a deciding free throw with 4 seconds remaining, as Colgate edged Lafayette 74-73 on Wednesday night.
Colgate’s Yaw Gyawu tied the score for the eighth time on a jumper with 2:46 left. After neither team scored for the next 2:20, Gyawu hit another jumper to put the Raiders (7-16, 3-6 Patriot League) ahead 73-71 with 26 seconds to go.
Jeff Kari made a pair of free throws with 17 seconds left for the Leopards (14-10, 5-4), who had trailed 47-32 with 16:59 left in the game.
After Jonson’s go-ahead free throw, he missed his second try. Lafayette got the rebound, but Kari couldn’t hit from long range.
Kyle Roemer also scored 17 points for Colgate and Gyawu added 14, nine of them in the second half.
Jim Mower scored 21 points to lead Lafayette, which has lost four of its last five games.
- Colgate edges Lafayette 74-73 on Jonson free throw
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0