Balanced Northwestern beats Indiana again 78-61
EVANSTON, Ill. (AP)—John Shurna led five Northwestern players in double figures with 16 points Sunday as the Wildcats defeated Indiana 78-61 for their first three-game winning streak against the Hoosiers in eight decades.
Luka Mirkovic added 14 points and Jeremy Nash 13 for Northwestern (16-7, 5-6 Big Ten), which is only one victory from the single-season school record set in 1982-83 and matched last year.
While Northwestern makes progress toward what it hopes will be its first NCAA tournament bid, times remain tough for traditional powerhouse Indiana (9-13, 3-7).
Verdell Jones III scored a career-high 28 points for the young, rebuilding Hoosiers, who have won five NCAA titles and have made 35 tournament appearances but went 6-25 last season. They suffered their fourth consecutive loss and seventh in nine games.
- Balanced Northwestern beats Indiana again 78-61
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four