Iona knocks off Marist 56-51
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. (AP)—Scott Machado scored 17 points as Iona pulled away late for a 56-51 victory over Marist on Sunday.
Rashon Dwight added 12 points and the Gaels (18-7, 10-4 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) held Marist to one field goal in the final 3:49 to win for the ninth time in 10 games.
Marist pulled to 50-48 on Candon Rusin’s free throw with 3:12 remaining, but Dwight and Machado followed with four consecutive free throws for a 54-48 advantage with 51 seconds to play.
Marist missed three 3-point attempts before Iona’s Jermel Jenkins added two more free throws for a 56-48 lead with 12 seconds left. Marist’s Rob Johnson hit a 3 with 7 seconds left for the final margin.
Iona didn’t score from the field after Machado’s layup with 7:51 to play.
Alejo Rodriguez had nine points and 10 rebounds for Iona.
Rusin scored 17 and Daye Kaba had 10 points for Marist (1-23, 1-13).
- Could the Yankees hold the key to the Stephenson-Henry saga?
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals