Longwood defeats NJIT 64-55
NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—Dana Smith scored 19 points and Longwood defeated New Jersey Institute of Technology 64-55 on Saturday for its third straight win.
Antwan Carter had 16 points and 13 rebounds, and Aaron Mitchell added 10 points for the Lancers (8-16), who won their third game in a row. It was their second road win in 15 tries this season.
NJIT (7-15) had its two-game winning streak snapped and failed to put together its first three-game streak since the program moved to Division I in the 2006-07 season.
Longwood led 36-20 at halftime and grabbed its largest lead at 38-20 when Mitchell hit a layup to start the second half. NJIT cut the lead to 54-48 on a basket by PJ Miller with 6:40 to play. The Lancers responded with a 6-0 run to push the lead to 60-48 with 2:56 left.
Chris Flores scored 17 points, Jheryl Wilson added 16 and Nick Lopez had 11 for the Highlanders.
- Tennessee State beats Morehead State 71-64
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case