Valparaiso staves off 18-0 Detroit run, wins 74-70
VALPARAISO, Ind. (AP)—Brandon Wood scored 18 points and Valparaiso weathered an 18-0 second-half run by Detroit to win 74-70 Saturday.
Michael Rogers added 13 points for the Crusaders (12-13, 7-6 Horizon League), who have won six of their last eight games. Brandon McPherson and Cory Johnson scored 12 apiece, and Ryan Broekhoff grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds.
Chase Simon led the Titans (14-10, 7-6) with 20 points. Xavier Keeling added 17 and Eli Holman 13.
After Rogers’ dunk put Valparaiso ahead 47-32 with 17:44 to go, Detroit went on an 18-0 run, finally going ahead 50-47 on Keeling’s 3-pointer with 11:20 left.
Detroit pushed its lead to 54-50, but Valparaiso responded with eight in a row for a 58-54 edge. The Crusaders did not give up the lead again, though Simon’s 3-pointer with 1:38 left trimmed it to 71-70. Two McPherson free throws and one by Broekhoff sealed it.
- Valparaiso staves off 18-0 Detroit run, wins 74-70
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot