Cleveland State tops Loyola of Chicago 59-56
CHICAGO (AP)—Jared Cunningham scored 15 points, including two free throws that put Cleveland State ahead to stay, and the Vikings defeated Loyola of Chicago 59-56 on Saturday.
It was the fifth straight victory for Cleveland State (12-12, 8-4 Horizon).
The Vikings trailed 49-40 with 9 minutes left, but used an 11-2 run to pull even with 3:54 to go. Cunningham made a pair of foul shots and Norris Cole hit a jumper with 1:54 to play for a 55-51 lead. Walt Gibler’s three-point play cut it back to one for the Ramblers, but Tim Kamczyc and D’Aundray Brown each made two free throws and the Vikings held on.
Trevon Harmon scored 14 points for Cleveland State. Jeremy Montgomery had 12 and Cole finished with 11.
Ben Averkamp and Terrance Hill scored 12 apiece to lead Loyola (13-10, 4-9). Gibler scored 11 and Courtney Stanley 10.
- Cleveland State tops Loyola of Chicago 59-56
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Oregon stuns Kansas to reach first Final Four in 78 years
- Having reached the Final Four at last, Mark Few says, 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself