William & Mary rallies past Georgia State 59-56
ATLANTA (AP)—Quinn McDowell scored 17 points, including four free throws in the final 1:31, as William & Mary defeated Georgia State 59-56 on Saturday night.
The Tribe (16-7, 8-5 Colonial Athletic Association), trailed by as many as nine points and by six, 55-49, with 3:13 left.
A 3-pointer by Sean McCurdy, a free throw by David Schneider and two free throws by McDowell tied it at the 1:31 mark.
After Joe Dukes made one of two free throws to give the Panthers (10-15, 4-9) a 56-55 lead, a layup by Marcus Kitts put the Tribe ahead to stay, 57-56, with 27 seconds left, and McDowell added two more free throws.
Georgia State’s Trae Goldston scored 12 of his 15 points in the first half. The Panthers shot 51.9 percent (14-for-27) in the half to lead 34-26 but cooled off to 32 percent (8-for-25) in the second.
Schneider added 15 points and 10 rebounds for William & Mary.
- William & Mary rallies past Georgia State 59-56
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?