Elon defeats Furman 66-55
GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP)—TJ Douglas scored 21 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, and Elon defeated Furman 66-55 on Saturday night.
Drew Spradlin added 14 points and Chris Long had 11 for the Phoenix (5-17, 3-8 Southern Conference), who snapped a two-game losing streak. The team had lost 11 of its previous 12 games.
The win avenged a 53-48 loss to Furman on Jan. 7.
Leading 56-50 with 2:51 to play, Elon went on a 7-0 run to put the game out of reach. A free throw by Long capped the run and gave the Phoenix their biggest lead of the game at 63-50 with 1:28 remaining.
Elon dominated close to the basket, outscoring Furman 22-10 in the paint.
The Phoenix also shot well, making 41.2 percent (21 of 51) of their shots from the field compared to 33.3 percent (19 of 57) for the Paladins.
Amu Saaka led Furman (11-2, 5-7) with 22 points and 10 rebounds, and Jordan Miller added 11.
- Elon defeats Furman 66-55
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four