Gardner Webb defeats Charleston Southern 82-73
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—C.J. Hailey scored a career-high 30 points and Gardner-Webb defeated Charleston Southern 82-73 on Saturday night.
The Runnin’ Bulldogs (7-16, 4-9 Big South Conference) shot 65 percent from the field (26 of 40) and made 50 percent of their 3-pointers (7 of 14) to snap a four-game losing streak.
Hailey, who made his first nine shots, finished 9 of 10 from the field and 9 of 10 from the free throw line.
Gardner Webb outscored the Buccaneers 10-0 to end the first half and take a 36-32 lead into halftime. The Runnin’ Bulldogs shot 65 percent (13 of 20) in the first half, overcoming 14 turnovers.
Anton Silver added 15 points for Gardner-Webb, which won its fifth straight against Charleston Southern.
The Buccaneers (11-12, 6-7) were led Jeremy Sexton with 23 points and Jemarco Warren with 21.
- Gardner Webb defeats Charleston Southern 82-73
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four