Bethune-Cookman defeats Coppin State 65-58 in OT
BALTIMORE (AP)—C.J. Reed scored 21 points and Bethune-Cookman dominated the overtime period to defeat Coppin State 65-58 on Friday night, extending the Eagles’ losing streak to 14 games.
Reed began the overtime scoring on a 3-pointer with 3:47 left, sparking a 9-0 Wildcats run. Coppin State didn’t score until Michael Harper’s layup with 6 seconds left.
Albert Abrahams added 19 points and 10 rebounds for Bethune-Cookman (14-9, 6-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference).
The Wildcats led 52-45 with 5:18 left in regulation, then the Eagles tied the game at 52 and again at 54 with 1:30 left. Alexander Starling’s layup gave Bethune-Cookman a 56-54 lead with 56 seconds to go, but Branden Doughty’s layup knotted the game with 31 seconds left.
Doughty then blocked a Reed layup attempt with 12 seconds left, forcing overtime.
Quinston Reggins led Coppin State (5-16, 0-9) with 16 points.
- Bethune-Cookman defeats Coppin State 65-58 in OT
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown