South Alabama knocks off New Orleans 59-51
NEW ORLEANS (AP)—Tim Williams scored 16 points and had 11 rebounds to lead South Alabama to a 59-51 victory over New Orleans on Thursday night.
Gary Redus added 16 points and eight rebounds for the Jaguars (13-11, 5-7 Sun Belt Conference), who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Redus scored 10 of the Jaguars’ first 11 points, going 4-for-4 from the field, as the Jaguars jumped out to an 11-4 lead. South Alabama ended the first half on a 17-4 run to take a 33-23 lead into halftime. Redus finished with 10 first-half points.
New Orleans (7-16, 2-10) opened the second half on a 14-2 run and took a 37-35 lead on Quincy Diggs’ 3-pointer with 16 minutes to play. But Martino Brock hit a 3 to give the Jaguars a 42-40 lead with 13:32 left.
Brock finished with 12 points and South Alabama outrebounded New Orleans 40-23.
Devin McDonald led New Orleans with 14 and Carl Blair added 10 points.
- South Alabama knocks off New Orleans 59-51
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown