Louisiana-Monroe defeats Western Kentucky 67-66
MONROE, La. (AP)—Dynile Forbes scored 22 points, including the game-winning free throw with 1.9 seconds left and Louisiana-Monroe defeated Western Kentucky 67-66 on Thursday night.
The Warhawks (10-14, 5-8 Sun Belt Conference) trailed 66-60 before a three-point play by Tommie Sykes with 1:49 to go. Kenneth Averette’s 3 tied it 1:26 later.
The Hilltoppers (12-11, 5-6) held for the last shot, but Lawrence Gilbert forced a turnover and hit Forbes ahead of the play. Forbes then split his foul shots to give Louisiana-Monroe its first ever win against Western Kentucky in five tries.
The Warhawks held on for the win, batting away a desperation long pass.
Rudy Turner scored 11 points and Colby Carr had 10 for Louisiana-Monroe, which snapped a two-game skid.
Jeremy Evans scored 19 points and AJ Slaughter 18 for the Hilltoppers. Caden Dickerson chipped in 10 points for Western Kentucky.
- Louisiana-Monroe defeats Western Kentucky 67-66
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups