Fairleigh Dickinson holds off Monmouth 75-69
HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP)—Sean Baptiste scored 27 points and Mike Scott 20 for Fairleigh Dickinson, which withstood a second-half Monmouth comeback to win 75-69 on Thursday night.
The Knights (7-16, 6-5 Northeast Conference) led by 22 points, 47-25, less than 3 minutes into the second half, but a 20-4 spurt by the Hawks (10-13, 6-5), which included 10 points by Whitney Coleman, cut the lead to 51-45.
Monmouth twice pulled within five points, the last time trailing 62-57 with 3:46 left.
Scott made a pair of free throws for Fairleigh Dickinson on its next possession for a seven-point lead and, after a missed 3-point try by Coleman, made two more free throws for a 66-57 lead with 2:34 to play.
Baptiste scored 11 points and Scott seven during a 23-9 first-half spurt that turned a 17-15 Fairleigh Dickinson lead into a 40-24 advantage at halftime.
Coleman led Monmouth with 18 points.
- Fairleigh Dickinson holds off Monmouth 75-69
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0