Vermont outlasts Maine 64-51
BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP)—Marqus Blakely and Evan Fjeld each recorded a double-double, leading Vermont over Maine 64-51 on Wednesday night.
Blakely scored 22 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and had five steals for the Catamounts (16-8, 7-3 America East Conference), who have won back-to-back games. The Catamounts swept the season series with the Black Bears, defeating them 64-56 on Jan. 7.
Fjeld scored 13 points and had 10 rebounds, while Maurice Joseph added 11 points for Vermont.
Joseph sealed a three-point play that put Vermont up 5-0, Fjeld’s layup made it seven straight points to open the game for the Catamounts, and they never trailed.
Vermont led by eight at the break and outscored Maine 27-22 in the second half.
Murphy Burnatowski scored 13 points for the Black Bears (14-8, 6-3), who have lost two games in a row for the first time since November.
- Referee Ed Hightower, famous on the Internet
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?