Charlotte defeats George Washington 72-68
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Shamari Spears scored a career-high 31 points and Charlotte scored nine straight in the last 1:25 to defeat George Washington 72-68 on Wednesday night.
The 49ers (17-5, 7-1 Atlantic 10 Conference) trailed 68-63 with 1:25 to play, but went 6-for-6 from the free throw line, hit a free throw and forced two turnovers to win their sixth straight.
George Washington (12-9, 2-6) jumped out to a 9-0 lead on Damian Hollis’ jump shot with 18:36 left in the first half. Charlotte took its first lead at 27-26 on Charles Dewhurst’s layup with 6:32 to go until halftime, and the difference wouldn’t grow any larger than five points the rest of the way.
DiJuan Harris added 11 points and Phil Jones chipped in 10 for the 49ers, who shot 52.4 percent in the second half (11 of 21).
Hollis finished with 23 points for the Colonials and Lasan Kromah added 11.
- Charlotte defeats George Washington 72-68
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2