Charlotte defeats George Washington 72-68
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Shamari Spears scored a career-high 31 points and Charlotte scored nine straight in the last 1:25 to defeat George Washington 72-68 on Wednesday night.
The 49ers (17-5, 7-1 Atlantic 10 Conference) trailed 68-63 with 1:25 to play, but went 6-for-6 from the free throw line, hit a free throw and forced two turnovers to win their sixth straight.
George Washington (12-9, 2-6) jumped out to a 9-0 lead on Damian Hollis’ jump shot with 18:36 left in the first half. Charlotte took its first lead at 27-26 on Charles Dewhurst’s layup with 6:32 to go until halftime, and the difference wouldn’t grow any larger than five points the rest of the way.
DiJuan Harris added 11 points and Phil Jones chipped in 10 for the 49ers, who shot 52.4 percent in the second half (11 of 21).
Hollis finished with 23 points for the Colonials and Lasan Kromah added 11.
- Butler’s mascot receives star treatment in Houston this week
- Former Michigan State star Appling charged in new case
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team