Mercer defeats Florida Gulf Coast 78-72
MACON, Ga. (AP)—Daniel Emerson scored 19 points and grabbed 15 rebounds to help Mercer defeat Florida Gulf Coast 78-72 on Monday night.
E.J. Kusnyer added 22 points for the Bears (11-11, 7-6 Atlantic Sun Conference), who shot 44.9 percent from the field (22 of 49).
Mercer, which led 36-32 at halftime, took a 37-32 lead on Jeff Smith’s free throw 23 seconds into the second half.
The Eagles (7-15, 4-9) then pulled within 40-38 on two free throws by Reed Baker with 13:05 remaining.
Florida Gulf Coast turned the ball over two times as the Bears pulled away with a 7-2 run, taking a 47-40 lead on Daniel Emerson’s free throws with 9:45 left.
Brandon Moore added 12 points and Brian Mills chipped in 11 for the Bears.
The Eagles were led by Anthony Banks with 23 points and 10 rebounds. Reed Baker added 13 points and Reggie Chambers had 12 for Florida Gulf Coast.
- Mercer defeats Florida Gulf Coast 78-72
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four