Rhode Island holds off George Washington 72-66
KINGSTON, R.I. (AP)—Keith Cothran scored 14 points, including a key 3-pointer late in the game, to lead Rhode Island to a 72-66 victory over George Washington on Saturday.
The Rams (17-3, 5-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) led by as many as 16 points in the first half, but the Colonials (12-8, 2-5) chipped away in the second half and trailed just 65-61 with 1:35 to play.
Cothran’s 3-pointer with 1:03 remaining gave Rhode Island a 68-61 lead and the Colonials never got closer than five points the rest of the way. Two free throws by Lamonte Ulmer made it 71-63 with 24 seconds left.
Akeem Richmond scored 11 points and Ulmer 10 for Rhode Island, while Delroy James grabbed nine rebounds and blocked three shots.
Tony Taylor led George Washington with 22 points, 18 of them in the second half, while Lasan Kromah added 13 points and Dwayne Smith 10 points.
- Rhode Island holds off George Washington 72-66
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Oregon stuns Kansas to reach first Final Four in 78 years
- Having reached Final Four at last, Gonzaga's Mark Few says, 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself