Rhode Island holds off George Washington 72-66
KINGSTON, R.I. (AP)—Keith Cothran scored 14 points, including a key 3-pointer late in the game, to lead Rhode Island to a 72-66 victory over George Washington on Saturday.
The Rams (17-3, 5-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) led by as many as 16 points in the first half, but the Colonials (12-8, 2-5) chipped away in the second half and trailed just 65-61 with 1:35 to play.
Cothran’s 3-pointer with 1:03 remaining gave Rhode Island a 68-61 lead and the Colonials never got closer than five points the rest of the way. Two free throws by Lamonte Ulmer made it 71-63 with 24 seconds left.
Akeem Richmond scored 11 points and Ulmer 10 for Rhode Island, while Delroy James grabbed nine rebounds and blocked three shots.
Tony Taylor led George Washington with 22 points, 18 of them in the second half, while Lasan Kromah added 13 points and Dwayne Smith 10 points.
- If you think a Hoya is a bulldog breed, you may want to read on
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims