Middle Tennessee State defeats North Texas 69-64
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP)—Montarrio Haddock scored 15 points and Middle Tennessee State defeated North Texas 69-64 on Saturday night.
Calvin O’Neil added 13 points, and Desmond Yates and Rod Emanuel each had 12 for the Blue Raiders (13-10, 8-3 Sun Belt Conference), who have won five games in a row.
The Blue Raiders never trailed and held their largest lead of the game at 22-10 with 8:21 remaining in the first half. But the Mean Green battled back to cut the lead to 35-31 at halftime.
The margin was eight points or less the rest of the way, and North Texas cut the lead to 66-64 with 1:37 to go on a 3-pointer by Shannon Shorter. The Blue Raiders iced the game with a dunk by Emanuel and a free throw by Haddock in the final minute.
Tristan Thompson had 17 points, Josh White added 13, and George Odufuwa had 11 points and 13 rebounds for the Mean Green (13-8, 6-5).
- Ian Eagle shares the origin story of Bill Raftery's 'Onions!'
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach