Appalachian State defeats Samford 68-55
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP)—Donald Sims scored 13 points and Appalachian State defeated Samford 68-55 on Thursday night.
The Mountaineers, shooting 46.9 percent heading in, made 51.1 percent from the field (24 of 47) against the Bulldogs (9-12, 3-6).
Kellen Brand and Ryann Abraham added 11 points apiece for Appalachian State.
The Mountaineers jumped out to a 20-6 lead on Booth’s layup with 10:48 left in the first half, and led 38-18 at halftime.
The Bulldogs shot 25 percent (5 of 20), compared to 52.9 percent in the first half (14 of 27) by the Mountaineers.
Samford pulled within 61-55 on Josh Davis’ 3-pointer with 41 seconds to play. The Mountaineers closed it out with seven straight points, the first five coming from Sims.
Appalachian State scored 17 points off 14 turnovers, and added 18 more in the paint.
Josh Davis scored 25 points for Samford.
- Appalachian State defeats Samford 68-55
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0