Akron defeats Western Michigan 79-70
KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP)—Four players scored in double figures and Akron shot 53 percent from the floor to defeat Western Michigan 79-70 Wednesday night.
Jimmy Conyers and Brett McKnight scored 11 points each for Akron and Chris McKnight and Nikola Cvetinovic had 10 apiece. Two other players, Darryl Roberts and Brett McClanahan, scored nine. All of Roberts’ points came at the free-throw line, where Akron went 23-for-31. The Zips never trailed and led by 18 early in the second half.
The balance of the Zips (14-6, 4-2 Mid-American) overcame David Kool’s 30-point night for Western Michigan (11-8, 3-3). Donald Lawson had 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Broncos, who shot 41 percent from the floor.
Kool became Western Michigan’s all-time scoring leader with 1,790 points, two ahead of Manny Newsome. He was 11-for-20 from the floor, but the rest of the Broncos went 13-for-38.
- Apparent prank sends Arizona State fans to nudist website
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims