Allison layup lifts Maine over Boston U. 56-54
ORONO, Maine (AP)—Mike Allison rebounded his own missed layup and laid it in to beat the buzzer, lifting Maine to a 56-54 win over Boston University on Wednesday night and extending the Black Bears’ winning streak to six games.
The America East Conference leader, Maine (14-6, 6-1) is off to its best start in league play, eclipsing the 1999-2000 team which started 5-2.
Freshman Murphy Burnatowski led the Black Bears with a career-high 14 points and Terrance Mitchell added 10.
Maine led 30-25 at halftime. The Terriers (11-10, 6-3), who entered the game having won six of their past seven games, briefly took the lead at 31-30, then the Black Bears regained control and built a 53-43 lead with 5:03 left.
Boston U. tied the game at 54 on a Jeff Pelage layup with 4 seconds to go, then Allison scored the winning basket.
Jack O’Brien and John Holland led the Terriers with 13 points each.
- Big man Sullinger showing more potential than Greg Oden did at Ohio State
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- Big 2nd half from Niang leads Iowa St. over Okla. St. 64-59
- Macura's 20 points lead No. 6 Xavier over Marquette 90-82
- Ellis has double-double for No. 7 Kansas in 75-56 win at TCU
- Auburn top scorer Kareem Canty suspended indefinitely