Moldoveanu’s 37 leads American U past Navy 69-59
WASHINGTON (AP)—Vlad Moldoveanu scored a career-high 37 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead American University to a 69-59 victory over Navy on Wednesday night.
The Eagles (6-15, 3-3 Patriot League) have won consecutive games for the first time this season.
Moldoveanu hit 10 of 17 field goals and 14 of 15 free throws. Stephen Lumpkins had 14 points for the Eagles, who never trailed after halftime to remain undefeated at in conference play.
Chris Harris scored 21 points for Navy (9-12, 3-3), which cut the lead to a point three times after trailing 30-23 at halftime.
On the last two occasions, Moldoveanu answered by hitting a pair of foul shots one possession and inside leaner the next. He later sank a 3-pointer from the right corner to stretch it to 57-48 and cap an 11-3 run. American led by at least six the rest of the way.
Jordan Sugars added 11 points for Navy.
- Moldoveanu's 37 leads American U past Navy 69-59
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot