Southern Illinois holds off Western Kentucky 68-63
CARBONDALE, Ill. (AP)—Kevin Dillard scored 17 points and had 10 assists as Southern Illinois defeated Western Kentucky 68-63 Monday night.
Carlton Fay added 17 points, Tony Freeman 12 and Gene Teague 10 and nine rebounds for the Salukis (12-7).
Steffphon Pettigrew scored 15 points, and A.J. Slaughter had 14 for the Hilltoppers (11-9), who have lost four straight.
Dillard finished three rebounds shy of a triple-double and secured the victory by scoring the final three points for Southern Illinois. He also set up Fay for a key 3-pointer with 1:22 remaining after Western Kentucky used a 5-0 run to pull within 62-60.
The game featured 14 lead changes, eight ties and zero fast-break points. The Hilltoppers’ last lead was 50-49 with 9:15 to play.
The Salukis led 38-33 at intermission after scoring the final six points of the first half.
- Southern Illinois holds off Western Kentucky 68-63
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four