Howard holds off Bethune-Cookman 67-64
WASHINGTON (AP)—Dadrian Collins scored 18 points, including sinking four 3-pointers, to help Howard hold off Bethune-Cookman 67-64 on Monday night.
Howard opened the game on a 7-0 run and led by 21 points at halftime, but CJ Reed hit a pair of foul shots to pull the Wildcats within 64-61 with 7 seconds left. But the Bison, who never trailed in the game, went 3-for-4 from the free throw line down the stretch to seal it.
Howard sank 25 of 35 free throws (71.4 percent) while the Wildcats were just 8 of 15 from the stripe (53.3 percent).
Calvin Thompson added 13 points and Curtis White had 10 for the Bison (6-15, 5-2 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won four of five to pull even with Bethune-Cookman in second place in the MEAC.
Reed scored 20 points to lead the Wildcats (12-8, 5-2), while Javoris Bryant and Jarrell Thomas added 13 points apiece.
- Howard holds off Bethune-Cookman 67-64
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?